Thursday 30 July 2009

Short Break - Day1

Where to go for a short break? I love the sea! That doesn't mean I need to be on it, miles from land, although that's fine. But I like shorelines, islands, estuaries, little bays, rock pools, wet feet, cliffs, gulls, fishing boats and yachts. And seafood. And sailboards, since I spent many years windsurfing.

So, off to the gulf of Morbihan, the town of Vannes, to a clean and anonymous business hotel. And islands, and sea, boats.....


View Larger Map

But first, on the way, the town of Josselin, and a big castle inhabited by the Duke and Duchess of Rohan (do they ride, I wonder?), on the banks of the Brest-Nantes canal. And a church tower with 138 steps in a spiral, narrow and steep. You miss your footing, you'll feel every single one on the way down.






































Then, on to Vannes. Check into the hotel, then where to go? Look, there's a place called Arradon Point.... I bet that's a good place to go and see the sea. And for sure they'll have somewhere you can sit and have a beer and watch. And maybe if we're lucky, a nice restaurant where we can have a good seafood dinner.






































There they all were, what delight. Paddlers, windsurfers, yachts, fishing boats, all moving with the incoming tide. A shoreside bar to watch them from, beer in hand. And when hunger drives, a restaurant overlooking the water, to view the rising tide, the dusking sky, and enjoy what must be one of the best meals of my life. Deep joy.

4 comments:

ReedBunting said...

Beautiful! I also love the seaside, the smells and the sounds, birds on the estuary and the thrumming of rigging on moored yachts - most jealous of your trip!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what ReedBunting says.
I am not sure if I told you this, but jealousy green is not a colour best suited to my skin tone.
Glad you are having a good time and wishing you blue sky days, even if I am typing this through clenched fists.
Much love,
Lia xx

Jonathan said...

I hitchhiked around this area the summer Charles and Di got married with the stones at Carnac as my stated aim. I'm very pleased to see it looking even more beautiful than I remember it. Fine dining was beyond my means at the time but I blessed the excellent creperies with my patronage. You are indeed a lucky man to have it all so close.

Mimi Lenox said...

"Deep joy."
How nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...