Sunday 23 September 2012

Connaître ses oignons

I grew the onion Walla-Walla for the first time this year.  Reputed to be an exceptionally sweet and mild type, it has lived up to its reputation.  You can easily look up more info on the web if you like.

It's good for eating raw in salads, and is perfect for frying to eat with burgers, and good for bhajis and pakoras too.  Not so good where it's competing with strong flavours, such as in a chilli or curry, where you need more traditional strong ones.  It's quite a moist onion, so probably not good for use as a thickener in curries either.

I left one in the ground to see if it will survive the Winter and make seeds for next year.  I'm not hoping for much since I read that they don't keep very well.

And my asters were swarming with butterflies the other day, in what seems to be the last of the Summer heat.

3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

We're too low for growing onions here so we're stuck with what is sold in the markets - very much pot luck!

Diane said...

I must look for Walla-Walla, they sound good. I have never seen so many butterflies on one bush, great photo. Diane

James Higham said...

And so to the autumn.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...