Tuesday 25 June 2013

Roses

I grow quite a lot of roses from cuttings.   Half-ripe cuttings planted out in the Autumn seem to be the most reliable. They take very well in this soil: I used to put them in little lines in the veg patch and then transplant them if they took.  I don't bother with this any more, I just put the cuttings into the ground where I want the plant to be.  Usually they succeed, and it saves the effort and the damage to the plant arising from transplanting.

These blue climbing roses are vigorous and disease-free, and also free of charge thanks to Leo who gave me the cuttings from the plant growing up the side of his house.  There are seven plants here in all, climbing up the back of my shed.  Even though the individual flowers are barely more than an inch in diameter, there are so many of them that the effect is impressive.  I am hoping that over time they will flop over onto the tiled roof as well.



These orange climbers are also from cuttings, again courtesy of Leo.  These ones are not yet big enough to climb, but they are intended to cover the back wall of the lodge.  I like the way that they change in colour from bright orange to nearly white.



And here's some free rose pics.



3 comments:

Helen Devries said...

We had a lot of luck with roses in France....I had an apricot version of Kiftsgate (name escapes me now) climbing over the coach house and a Rambling Rector engulfing the outhouse roofs....both from cuttings from friends.
One I could never get to go was Zephyrine Drouin....tried several times in different places but the lady was not for growing.

I have a cutting from the Kiftsgate here...it has not yet flowered ...wonder if it ever will...and is constantly attacked by leaf cutter ants who obviously relish foreign food.

Steve said...

Such delicate little lives... and yet quite hardy on their way.

James Higham said...

Like the ladies, Steve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...