Friday 6 September 2013

Simplicity

I find elegance in simplicity.  If something is simple, but works as well as something more complicated, I prefer the simple.  What's more, if you are buying, the simple tends to be both cheaper and more reliable.

And so I share with you, a picture of this little garden sprinkler that I bought the other day, that delivers an even spray of water over a circular area, with no moving parts.  I think it works on the basis of a turbulent flow of water around a vortex, that somehow creates the random distribution of droplet speeds that you need for that to work.

5 euros each, and on sale, probably because no-one believes they work.  I'm going to get another one.


4 comments:

Helen Devries said...

Where are they on sale? If there's a branch near frends I'll ask them to buy a job lot for us for Spain.

Mark In Mayenne said...

Hi Helen, the one I bought was on sale at the Espace Emeraud in Evron. I don't know if other branches of this chain have them, but I think they'd be worth a look.

Steve said...

The best ideas are always simple and straightforward... alas, we are conditioned to see simplicity as somehow suspicious.

James Higham said...

Completely agree - part of the design process of late was getting the things which moved simple, removing the complications.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...